Wednesday, May 09, 2007

HT to Jen for this. I found it intriguing as I've heard before that we in the Seattle area speak "network standard", and this seems to confirm it. This is also kind of good news for me because .... I remember when I was in third grade in Tacoma, I had to skip a class once a week for a while to go work with a speech therapist because my teachers couldn't understand me. I had to overcome a lisp pronouncing "s" as "th" and also learn to say "r" rather than "w" for "r". My memory is that I had a grand old time with the gentle, encouraging therapist I worked with, and felt a sense of accomplishment both in learning how to say these sounds "correctly" on purpose (that is, when I wanted to), and also "habitually" (that is, when I was meant to, without having to consciously think about it).

I remember also the therapist talking about how part of the reason that I had learned to speak the "wrong" way might be related to the fact that my parents both came from the east coast (Baltimore, MD and Boston, MA), and I grew up in Oklahoma and then Kansas, and then was attending 3rd grade in Tacoma, WA. Anyway, apparently I now have the accent, if not the voice (or the looks) to do radio or t.v. very kewl.

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

The West
Boston
North Central
The Inland North
Philadelphia
The South
The Northeast
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

No comments: