Saturday, June 23, 2007

A story for you

Wanted to direct your attention to Arenda's story, which I found beautiful and compelling.

A quote:

The church I’d grown up in was homogenous in its makeup: 99% of its members are caucasian Canadians whose parents or grandparents immigrated from Holland. People didn’t really tell their stories because the stories didn’t vary a whole lot. Or something. I stumbled through the story-telling process and was honest about my mediocre relationship with God and my lack of interest in church. Someone asked me, “Well, why are you bothering to go, then?” That was quite a departure from anything I’d heard before. Even if you didn’t want to go to church, a Canadian Reformer went out of obedience to God (or, quite possibly, out of obedience to one’s parents).

No comments: