Sunday, September 28, 2008

Register to vote!

I'm convinced one relatively simple thing you and I can do to help make the world a more just and compassionate place is to register to vote and then vote in local, state, and national elections. It's a chance to take our power and give it away, ideally. So if you haven't registered, I would encourage you to do so ASAP. I in no way mean for this post to be heard as against those who choose not to register or vote for well thought out reasons. I'm rather saying I'm kinda of thinking a lot of Americans don't register and don't vote from mere apathy, and hoping to throw my little voice out there against such apathy =).

A quick count from this page reveals 34 U.S. states have voter registration deadlines between October 4th and October 15th.

Rock the vote will email you a copy of your voter registration form. If for some reason that doesn't work for you, here's Obama's voter registration site (which will work just fine for you to register even if you don't support Obama) and here's McCain's voter registration site (ditto)

I tried out both of the latter sites, and the Obama one seems a bit more user friendly, but both of them work reasonably well. The Obama site will actually check for you to see if you are already registered.

And for our Canadian friends to the North, who are also holding federal elections on October 14th, I found this voting information website =)

By the way, can anyone help me out with why this question and answer are on the FAQ of Canada Elections online? I'm terribly terribly curious:

* Is someone allowed to eat a ballot?

Eating a ballot, not returning it or otherwise destroying or defacing it constitutes a serious breach of the Canada Elections Act.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. This made me laugh more than anything in a long while!!

"i'm sorry, constable, I was just feeling a little peckish..."

Benjamin Ady said...

Seren,

Your response made Megs and me laugh. Thank you =)