Thursday, December 04, 2008

Agreeing with the almighty

When I was 15 years old, I memorized the Old Testament book of Proverbs, chapter by chapter. I mean to say I only memorized each chapter, and once I could recite it, I left it alone and moved on to the next chapter. So I never actually could recite the whole thing.

But anyway, today I was reminded of these versed from Proverbs. Yahweh and I strongly agree on these. It seems like this ought to provide some comfort, but it doesn't, actually. These things suck, and the fact that Yahweh also things they suck doesn't really seem to help.

There are six things Yahweh hates,
seven that are detestable to him:
haughty eyes, a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
a false witness who pours out lies
and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.


Even thought it isn't very comforting, there is a certain sense of community in knowing that others hate some of the same things I hate.